On on Friday 8th July 2016 and Saturday 9th July 2016 over 50 members of The Fifty-Fifty Group from all 14 Districts around the Country have ended a two (2) day Biennial General Meeting, which included training the Group’s Coordinators on how to set up their 50/50 Group branches and Project Proposal Writing at the British Council Auditorium, Tower Hill Freetown. The theme of the conference was “Achieving 50% representation for the safety of women”.
Hon. Sylvia Blyden, the Minister of Social Welfare, Gender and Children’s Affairs was the guest of honour and the keynote speaker was The Country Director of the British Council Mr Simon Ingram-Hill.. Several speakers from other organisations such as The Executive Chairperson of Environment Protection Agency EPA, Madame Jattou Jallow, The Country Representative for UN in Sierra Leone IRC, UNDP and OSIWA added their voices to the need for women’s participation in governance and decision making.in a safe environment. Madame Jeanne Kamara, Country Director of Christian Aid chaired the opening ceremony.
The Election of the 2016/2018 Executive of the 50/50 Group took place after the group reviewed its constitution. The training of 50/50 Group’s Coordinators from all 14 Districts on how to set up their 50/50 Branches and how to write Project Proposals climaxed the Programme.
Members of the 2016/2018 Executive are as follows:.
- Dr Mrs Fatou Taqi – President
- Mrs Fea Elizabeth Siaffa – Vice-President
- Dr Mrs Fredline McCormack-Hale – Secretary-General
- Mrs Eileen Hanciles – Asst.Secretary-General
- Mrs Isata Koroma – Treasurer
- Haja Alimatu Abdullah – Internal Auditor
- Mrs Isatu Jabbie Kabbah – Organising/Social Secretary
- Mrs Zainab Tunkara-Clarkson – Publicity Relations Officer.
- Miss Aissiatu Jalloh – Asst.Publicity Relations Officer.
- Ms Toodi Stronge – Legal Adviser
- Mariama Dumbuya – Legal Adviser
- Haja Dentuma Maligie – Ex-Officio
- Mrs Geogiana Bennet – Ex-Officio
- Madam Renikeh Kamara – Ex-Officio
All 6 Past Presidents: Dr Mrs Nemata Majeks-Walker, Mrs Abator Davisdson, Haja Mariama Fofana, Mrs Harriet Turay, Haja Saiminatu Kassim, Dr Mrs Aisha Fofana-Ibrahim
- North: Mrs Magdalene Gbenga
- South: Amie Moriba
- East: Theresa Gborie
- West: Esther Panda
- Kambia: Isatu Charm
- Port Loko: n/a
- Bombali: Sylvia Rebecca Kanu
- Koinadugu: Hannah Conteh
- Tonkolili: Haja Adams
- Moyamba: n/a
- Bonthe: Alice J. Kumabeh
- Kono: Sia Tongu
- Kailahun: n/a
- Pujehun: Catherine Bureh
- Kenema: Fatmata Dassama
- Bo: Ms Kaday Turay
- Western Urban: Theriyah Koroma
- Western Rural: Clarice Taylor
Members of the 50/50 Group would like to acknowledge support from Action Aid, the British Council, EPA and Christian Aid.
For more information contact:
Dr. Mrs. Nemata Majeks-Walker,
Founder & First President,
The 50/50 Group,